Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Call Me Un-Romantic

Just before Valentine's Day, a couple of my colleagues were asking me questions such as:

Q: So, are you buying anything for your wife on Valentine's Day?

A: No.

(Looks of horror and disgust crept across their faces)

Q: So, what are you doing on Valentine's Day?

A: Nothing.

(More or less the same respond as above)

My usual reply, albeit a little cliched, is "Everyday is and can be Valentine's Day, why must you celebrate it on a day when everything is more expensive and all the restaurants are over-crowded? If you need to have a special day to do something nice and different for THAT person in your life, you can do it any other day!"

And I truly believe in the above statement, as do my wife (and I'm not just saying that to make myself look good).  I just don't see a point in spending extra money unnecessarily on things that you usually can get it a whole lot cheaper. I also don't understand what so special about going out for a nice fancy dinner, and sit in a restaurant packed with people.

I'm lucky my wife is a very practical person who has no use for things like flowers and diamond rings (fine, call me cheapskate). Below are2 separate scenarios that may very well happen depending on her mood, should I buy her a bunch of beautiful flowers on Valentine's Day.

GOOD MOOD: Thanks dear, that is very nice of you, but you don't need to waste your money buying me flowers especially when you know that I have no use for them, nice as they are.

BAD MOOD: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU THINKING!!? Why do you waste so much money and precious time buying something for me that I DON'T NEED? I'd much rather you stay home and help me take care of the kids (bearing in mind my wife is 3 months pregnant and still suffering from morning sickness).

I know that some of you are still thinking that I'm just giving excuses and trying hard to justify myself. I also know that there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise, so I won't even try :P.

TOP OF PAGE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
.nobrtable br { display: none } .nobrtable p { margin-bottom: 0px; margin-top: 0px;}